Varicose veins are a common problem that affects 23% of all Americans. It’s also estimated that women are twice more likely to develop varicose veins than men, and in many cases, they are inherited.
For many people, varicose veins may also represent a simple cosmetic concern; however, others may experience discomfort, leg aching, and even develop ulcers or lead to more severe problems. Whether you’re experiencing pain or not, it’s a good idea to visit a varicose veins doctor when:
- The veins look darker, blue or purple
- The veins appear to be twisted or are bulging and look like a cord
- You have skin discoloration around the varicose veins
- You’re in pain, especially after several hours of sitting or standing
- You suffer from cramps, and your calves are often swollen
- You have a burning sensation or achy feeling in your legs
- Your legs feel weak
How to Identify Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are easy to identify as they usually look swollen and twisted, whether you’re sitting or standing. However, a proper diagnosis from a specialist is needed.
A varicose veins doctor in Illinois may use an ultrasound to determine the blood vessels’ condition, check blood flow, and other noninvasive tests.
Why Should Varicose Veins Be Treated
The treatment for varicose veins is mostly needed to treat and ease pain, discomfort, and to stop them from getting worse. Patients with other health conditions like diabetes are at higher risk if their varicose veins aren’t treated. Some of the complications people with varicose veins can have are:
- Blood clots
Varicose Veins Treatments
One of the first things your vein doctor will recommend as part of the varicose veins treatment is making lifestyle changes. By making small changes, you can feel better and prevent the problem from developing. Some of those changes may include:
- Exercising and losing weight
- Elevating the legs at the end of the day to improve blood circulation
- Wearing loose clothes
- Wearing compression socks
- Avoiding standing or sitting for long periods
Depending on your conditions, there are additional treatments for varicose veins like:
- Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLT)
- Radiofrequency Thermal Ablation
- Varithena – Ultrasound-Guided Microfoam Endovenous Ablation
Get Diagnosed & Treated at The Best Varicose Veins Center in Illinois
Windy City Veins is a center with the best varicose veins doctors in Illinois. We’ve dedicated over a decade in diagnosing and treating patients with varicose veins and other veins diseases.
Our team of experts will examine and determine the best treatment to follow for your case and provide you with lifestyle recommendations. We approach each patient with care, aiming to make them feel better from the first appointment.
Stop the progression of your varicose veins with the help of Windy City Veins. You’ll be in the best hands in Illinois.